Table of Contents
What is Keto?
The Keto diet is a very low-carb, low to moderate protein & a high fat diet with the purpose of burning fat, improving cognitive functions and living a healthy yet fun lifestyle.
The reduction in carbs puts your body in a metabolic state called ketosis. Ketosis is when your liver produces ketones for fuel rather than glucose.
Why the Keto diet works
During the keto diet, your glycogen stores are depleted. Glycogen is excess carb stored mainly in the muscles, liver used for energy when glucose levels are low.
Since your glycogen is depleted, after eating a keto friendly meal, your body can start burning your stored fat for fuel, instead of the stored glycogen.
Challenges you might face on the Keto diet
- The keto flu. Keto flu is when you get “flu like” symptoms such naucia, headaches, diarrhea. For the most part, this happens because of an electrolyte imbalance. Because carbs store alot of water, when depeating your glycogen stores, your kidney is secreting most of your electrolytes.
To fix this issue, simply supplement with a good magnesium supplement and at salt to most of the foods you eat.
- Social challenge. It’s easy to think that your limited the restaurant menu if your living a keto lifestyle. As with anything, the more experience you get during this journey the easier it is to choose keto friendly meals from restaurants. And there are plenty ranging from chicken wings, to soups & salads, even juicy rib eye steaks.
Here is a list of some of my favorite restaurants chains and keto friendly foods you can order.
Primary Keto foods to eat to get the best results
- Healthy Oils : MCT, Coconut, Avocado, Olive Oil
- Healthy Butter: Ghee & Grass Fed Butter
- Ideal Protein Source: Lean wild caught Salmon & Pea Protein
- Dairy is keto friendly however it’s a good idea to keep to a minimum. Dairy has shown to cause bloating, digestive issues and inflammation within the body.
My favorite benefits of living a healthy Keto lifestyle
- I don’t feel lethargic & sleepy after meals – Huge!
- I get to stay lean & limber all year round
- Steady source of energy all day long
- Great mental & emotional state all day long
- I feel mentally sharp all day long
My typical day on the Keto diet
We all live busy lives so I’m sure like most of you, convenience is important which is why bulletproof coffee is a staple of mine.
I make it simple with just a couple tablespoon of Ghee and a couple tablespoons of MCT oil.
After an hour, I make a delicious strawberry milkshake which you can find my recipe for that over here.
Now, depending if I’m planning on fasting, that might very well be my only meal for the day. If i’m not fasting then I’ll probably have another bulletproof coffee for lunch.
For dinner I like to have a chipotle style keto salad bowl, or sometimes wine and dine with a steak, asparagus and a glass of wine.
Pretty simple, convenient & super delicious.
I usually end the day with around 200g of fat, 100g of protein and 40g of carbs which is around 2360 calories.